What to do in a Hard Drive Emergency
- If possible, back up data immediately. Do this if you start getting intermittent disk errors or you computer is having trouble recognizing your device. Do not do it if your drive is making strange noises.
- If your hard drive is making clicking, grinding, scraping, tapping, "singing," or whining sounds, shut
it down immediately. These sounds could be the read/write heads hitting or scraping the platters (which is where your data is stored). If you keep running your hard drive, you could be destroying your data. That means:
- Do not use utility software
- Do not power the device back up
- If you're drive is making unusual sounds, don't try to fix it yourself by turning it on and off, using a diagnostic tool or putting the drive in the freezer.
- Don't assume your data is unrecoverable.
- Call in reinforcements at DriveSavers or call us at 1-877-807-8095.
- $200 "Attempt" Fee is waived. (In the rare instances when DriveSavers can't save your data, you'll pay nothing.)
- 10% off Services